Sticking to New Year’s resolutions can be hard. Did you now that one of the top New Year’s resolutions is to eat healthier? This year, I decided to go through my pantry and take stock of what I have on hand. I tossed a number of old products and made a resolution to exchange some of the unhealthier items with better, healthier options. Just making a few switches can make a healthier 2016!
Here are some ideas of healthier options that will help you and your family make healthier everyday choices.
- Add Extra Flavor to your Water with Coconut Water – We all now that drinking water is the healthiest option, but sometimes this gets a little boring! One way to spruce up your water consumption is to add Coconut Water as an option. Coconut water provides the same great benefits but with a delicious flavor. Coco Joy coconut water contains natural electrolytes for daily hydration and contains no added sugar and no preservatives. It’s also gluten, lactose and dairy free. Coco Joy makes a convenient can that’s perfect for traveling or on-the-go… even though it tastes like you’re drinking it straight out of a coconut. ($1.19/8.3 fl. oz. cans)
- Reduce Your Kids Sugar Intake with Naturally Flavored Water – I used to buy my kids boxed juices but found that many of them were full of sugar and artificial flavors and colors. Instead of boxed juices try AquaBall. AquaBall is a sugar-free, naturally flavored water sure to satisfy your child’s sweet tooth the healthy way. Available in four flavors, Fruit Punch, Orange, Berry Frost and Grape, AquaBall features fan favorite characters from Disney’s Frozen, Disney Princesses, Marvel Avengers, and Disney Classic Characters. AquaBall also contains essential B & C vitamins, natural fruit flavors, and is sweetened with Stevia instead of artificial sweeteners. My son, who loves boxed juices, was a little hesitant to try the AquaBall flavored water. However, he was pleasantly surprised! He LOVES all the flavors and has begged me to get more. This is a great option since he does not drink enough water. ($22.94/12 pack)
- Choose Healthier Snack Options – Like most kids, my children love chips and sweet snacks, but I am always looking for a different option for them. Viki’s Granola is made with 100% all natural ingredients, gluten-free and baked with love. Unlike other granolas with hard clusters, Viki’s has a fresh, soft, chewy texture and no artificial aftertaste. Available in five delicious flavors, Viki’s Granola is great to enjoy on its own or with your favorite yogurt and are even available in select flavors in snack packs, perfect for when you are on-the-go. (12 oz. bags $5.49/ 1.5 oz. bags ($11.99/10 pack)
- Cook With Coconut Oil for Added Health Benefits – I have just started to cook with Coconut Oil and I love it. Coconut oil is a great alternative to traditional oils and Liquid Coconut Oil is naturally rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which is efficiently utilized by the body for energy production, helps aid in calorie burning, and contains 4x more MCT’s than traditional virgin coconut oil. It even has a higher heat point than traditional olive oils. Available in Sriracha, Rosemary, Garlic and Unflavored, Carrington Farms Liquid Coconut Cooking Oils are perfect for cooking, sautéing, and baking. ($11.99 / 16oz bottle)
- Ditch the Soda for a Healthier Cola Alternative – One of my resolutions this year is to stop drinking so much soda. However, I definitely crave a cola every once in a while. Stripped of all the sugars, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colors and flavors, some companies have created smarter carbonated drink options. Celsius makes a great tasting ready-to-drink Cola flavor that provides a healthy boost in energy without all the added calories, and still provides that Cola flavor everyone loves. ($2.39/can)
- Condiments Count Too – Unfortunately, so many popular condiments are loaded with fat, calories, sugar, and artificial ingredients, but there is one that stands outside of those pantry stuffers – Mustard. While Coleman’s Mustard is certainly a great topper to sandwiches and hot dogs, it also makes a wonderful “secret ingredient,” adding a zesty flavor to many mealtime favorites including roasts, veggies, mac & cheese, even cocktails and dessert. I love the flavor of mustard and it is great for all kinds of chicken, beef, pork and fish recipes. Coleman’s Mustard comes in two varieties, Prepared and Dried. ($4.99 – $6.99)